Thursday, October 13, 2016

PEGGY'S COVE

         Peggy's Cove | Pastel | 9x12

It was a dark and stormy day as we headed to the infamous Peggy's Cove on the isle of Nova Scotia. In the US, we have Rockport in Massachusetts as our iconic New England coastal village. In Canada, Peggy's Cove is the equivalent. As we drove toward it we realized everyone on our small road was headed there.  Passing the sign stating 'Welcome to Peggy's Cove Provincial Park', the urban landscape abruptly disappeared.  Rolling rises of granite rocks wove in between countless inlets. Arriving at the harbor, I threw on my rain gear and went out into the chilly bluster, snapping photos madly, as for me, this kind of weather is the true Atlantic shore.

Painting Notes: Finally, a use for a sheet of La Carte light blue gray! I took classes for years from pastelist Reif Erickson who loved sanded La Carte paper. I quickly remembered its virtues - it takes a light touch and doesn't require a heavy use of ones pastels. Subtlety is its virtue and it keeps me from noodling the form to death! It was perfect for depicting this foggy gray day.

No comments:

Post a Comment