Sunday, December 3, 2017

MORNING AT BLUE FISH COVE

              Morning at Blue Fish Cove | Pastel | 9x12


“This is as good as it gets”, I kept repeating. Fifteen of us had showed up the day before in Carmel and met up in Point Lobos State Park, just four miles down the road, for an informal Paint Out with the California Plein Air Painters.  We had all so enjoyed the scenery and exquisite weather at China Cove that we decided to meet up again in the park on Sunday.  I’m familiar with the Park from having attended the Carmel Art Festival two years now and always seeking out the Park for its outstanding scenery. I talked my girlfriend into hiking in to Blue Fish Cove, a mere half a mile hike along the coast from Whalers Cove.  The going can be tough if you’re pulling your gear but we managed and it was totally worth it.  I believe this is my truly favorite place in the world. I can’t wait to go back!

Painting Notes:  The light changed rapidly while painting this and I was dissatisfied with my treatment of the water while there on site. When I returned home, I took a bristle brush to the water parts, removing as much of the loose pigment as I could. I then covered all but the water with a sheet of plastic and sprayed Spectrafix fixative on the water areas.  Once dry, I had a lovely toned surface to work on and some great photos taken at the beginning of my painting session there with which to refer.  I adore the way moving ocean creates cross hatches.

No comments:

Post a Comment