Monday, May 9, 2016

REVISITING AN OLD FRIEND!


                    The Canal Path   | Pastel | 6x6

One water feature we have a lot of here in the Sacramento Valley is irrigation ditches! I painted a different vision of this ditch over 15 years ago. Stumbling on old photos, it leapt off the page of thumbnails due to its clear shapes and dramatic quality. What fun to revisit my ditch and give it new life!

Painting Notes:  It is so rewarding to revisit a scene you painted long ago and reawaken the elements that drew you to it in the first place!  This time around, I could create whole sections with minimal strokes. I had a definite sense of lights and darks, warm and cool, bright and dull and was able to apply that knowledge to create a much stronger work. Wish I had a photo of the old one!

No comments:

Post a Comment