Thursday, September 7, 2017

LIBERTY FALLS 


     Liberty Falls | Pastel  | 12x 9 (unfinished)

I was sound asleep when he pulled onto the road that said Liberty Falls. A short downhill and we could see a bridge, then the falls cascading down the rocky crags. On the other side of the bridge was a picnic table, a fire pit and the number 5 on a tree.  Even tho it was only 2:30 pm and we'd been planning a long drive to Chitina and McCarthy, AK, we know a great campsite when we see it. Collin went off to climb the falls and bushwhack across a ridge returning hours later while I was still rapt in painting on the bridge. I didn't finish the painting as time disappeared in the pursuit but I knew I would...because I love the scene and the moments there. This is why I paint en plein air.

Painting Notes:  It was perfect conditions for plein air until 2 hrs into the painting when 'see-ums' enveloped me and nipped at every bit of skin showing. No idea what they are but they sting like 'no-see-ums' only they are 1/8" and see-able...and feel-able!  Sometimes nature tells the plein air painter when to put it away.


No comments:

Post a Comment